Automatic generation of image thumbnails on the fly is ensured by the correct functioning of server-side software: installed and correctly configured mod_rewrite module (how to check) when web server Apache is used or by nginx + FastCGI for which we suggest using our tested configuration.
Below are listed several configuration issues which may result in image thumbnail generation failures.
1. Website is powered by Apache and requests to images are processed by nginx bypassing Apache
Such configuration is sometimes used by web-hosting companies to reduce load on Apache web server without applying our recommended configuration to their nginx server.
- change web hosting configuration which forwards all requests to image files directly to nginx
- use recommended configuration for nginx web server
2. Auto subdomain creation is enabled
This option changes the values of some server variables and thus prevents image thumbnails from being correctly generated by Webasyst. To resolve the issue, desable auto subdomain creation in your web-hosting account.
3. Incorrect permissions for thumbnail directory
Make sure that server user executing PHP scripts has sufficient permissions to create and modify the contents of the main directory used for storing thumbnail files.
For Shop-Script: wa-data/public/shop/products/
For Photos app: wa-data/public/photos/
4. Original image file is missing
If the original image file may be missing on the server, then there is nothing to create a thumbnail from. In this case you need to upload the image again for thumbnails to be generated correctly.
5. Files responsible for thumbnail generation are missing or corrupted
Check whether these files are not missing or empty.
For Photos app:
The original contents of these files can be obtained from a backup copy of your website stored by your web-hosting company or system administrator. You can also obtain them by installing temporary copies of these apps on a test (local) web server.